STOP! Help us keep Rylie (and yourselves) happy and healthy this winter!
We are quickly approaching cold and flu season, and if these last few weeks have been any indication we are in for a long winter!
As many of you have seen Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68) has made its presence know this year and children across the country are already facing long hospital stays. Cold and flu season is tough on any parent or kid. No one likes missing school and fun play dates with friends, and for parents juggling everything that comes with having a sick kiddo at home adds another level of stress to any already stressful time of year. This year for us that stress is heightened due to Rylie’s current situation. Kiddos like Rylie, who are receiving chemotherapy treatments, have little to no immune system, making it extremely difficult for them to fight a small cold or flu bug. Often times those children end up in the hospital needing help from our amazing doctors and nurses to fight what the rest of us deal with as just the common cold and flu. A common cold can quickly turn into a blood transfusion and an automatic stay in the hospital. Us, and may other parents would like to avoid those situation if at all possible… the goal is to keep our baby girl healthy and out of the hospital throughout the remainder of her treatment plan.
Just a few simple steps can help you to avoid cold and flu season all together…
(1) Get a flu shot. It’s the #1 thing we can all do to prevent the flu! We received our shots last night! A plus, most insurance companies cover the shot with no out of pocket cost to you!
(2) Wash your hands! Wash Your Hands! Wash your Hands! No matter what you do we all come into contact with people! The best tool you have to avoid a cold or flu bug is to WASH YOUR HANDS!
(3) Use Alcohol based Sanitizers. We are frequent hand sanitizer purchasers in the Evans house. You know those Extreme Coupon shows… we’re kind of like that but with soap and sanitizer! J Hand Sanitizers are a great alternative to have handy when you can’t get yourself to some soap and hot water.
(4) Avoid getting close to people who are sick. As mentioned before people are contagious beings- the less interaction you have with someone that is sick the better chance you have of avoid getting sick yourself! While no one wants to miss out on work, school, or a holiday party it is best to stay home when you are sick! During cold and flu season sharing is no caring… STAY HOME! Rest! Focus on getting yourself well!
(5) Keep your surroundings clean! Sanitize doorknobs, light switches, trashcans, and faucets. Think of the germiest places in your home and office and CLEAN them… anything touched by lots of hands… Clean it regularly! Health care professional recommend avoiding shared candy dishes around the office and taking a few moments each morning to clean and sanitize your work space.
(6) Keep a healthy lifestyle. Eat right, stay hydrated, get adequate rest, and exercise! Try adding in a multi-vitamin or a probiotic into your daily routine to give your body an extra boost of protection.
So, we need your help! Let’s all make a few changes and help keep Rylie and her friends happy and healthy this winter!
For more information check out these links below...
Skip Getting Sick In 3 Simple Steps
Stay Healthy This Year… 6 Tips to Avoiding Cold and Flu Season